A Constant Velocity or CV Joint is one in which a drive shaft passes on power through a variable angle at a constant speed. They are often found on rear wheel drive cars and they are placed at the end of the rear axle half shafts.
When should I replace my CV Axle Shaft?
There is not a widely accepted guideline on when to replace the cv axle shaft replacement, so it’s important to keep an eye out and pay attention to the feedback your car is giving you through noises and vibrations. If there is a clicking sound from your wheels while you are turning, accelerating or decelerating, it could be due to a faulty CV axle.
What happens if I don’t?
If there is an issue, you should always replace the CV axle shaft as quickly as possible, due to the risk of breaking the axle all together. It’s a quick, affordable repair, so it is not worth taking any chances.
How to do it: Replacing your CV CV Axle Shaft:
- Loosen the lug nuts on your tires.
- Jack the vehicle up and place it on jack stands, making sure that it is being safely held in place.
- Take off your wheel.
- Remove the stabilizer-bar from the suspension arm.
- Take the CV axle out of the transaxle. You may need to use a pry bar.
- Put some grease on the spines of the two ends of the CV axle shaft.
- Line up the inside tip of the shaft with the transaxle and push it in until it is seated.
- Taking the steering knuckle out and position the outer tip of the CV axle shaft in the hub.
- Put the ball joint back on the steering knuckle.
- Put your wheel back on and tighten the lug nuts.
- Carefully drop your vehicle down from the jack stands and finish tightening the lug nuts.
Anything else I need to know?
For some vehicles, you may need to remove some ancillary parts to get to the CV axle shaft, so be prepared for that. If you run into problems with that process, you may need to do some research to get instructions that are specific to your vehicle. Always consult with a certified mechanic or professional if you are unsure of the complete process for repairing parts in your car or truck.
Select your discounted CV Axle Shaft replacement online from Car Part Kings for fast shipping, Live Support and great prices.