Your hood lift support ensures that your hood opens correctly and that it stays in place when open. This is a vital safety system on your vehicle.
When should I replace my Hood Lift Support?
If you notice that your hood isn’t staying open or that it’s very difficult to open, the hood supports may be damaged. Check them for signs that they are degraded or that they are becoming detached from the vehicle.
What happens if I don’t?
This could be disastrous and painful. If your hood support fails when you’re looking under the hood, it could cause the hood to fall on you and cause serious injury. Your hood or car may be damaged if the hood isn’t swinging open correctly, as well.
How to do it: Replacing Your Hood Lift Support:
- Locate the hood lifts by checking your owner’s manual.
- Remove any trim that covers the hood supports to get at the bolts that hold them in place.
- Remove any electrical connections before removing the hood support.
- Place a support—a metal rod or another system—under the hood to support it. Support both sides of the hood.
- Remove the fasteners that hold the hood struts in place. Sometimes they will be clips, which can be removed with a screwdriver.
- Remove the support.
- Check to make sure that the new strut matches with your mounting holes.
- Fasten down the new support.
- Repeat the process on the other side.
- Verify that the hood swings and stays open as required.
Be very careful working under the hood while replacing the hood support lifts. Make sure the method by which you’re supporting the hood is secure. Have a friend help, if necessary, to ensure that you’re safe.
Anything else I need to know?
Generally lift supports should be replaced in pairs to ensure that they’re both working correctly. The live support Live Support
crew at Car Part Kings can help you find the set that you need for your vehicle and will ship it fast.
Buy your Hood Lift Support replacements online from Car Part Kings for fast shipping, live customer support and discounted prices.