If you have a rear hatch with a separate glass lift (allowing you to access the rear of the vehicle without opening the full
or lowering the tailgate), you need a back glass lift support to keep the glass up on its own. These are smaller versions of the gas or liquid filled struts used to support the entire lift gate on minivans and other vehicles with fully opening hatches in the rear. Your model may have one back glass lift support, or it may have two, but either way the support is needed so you can access the hatch area without having to hold the glass up yourself.
When should I replace my Back Glass Lift Support?
You’ll notice that over time, your lift supports begin to struggle to do their job. This may be because of dirt and dust buildup on the input shaft, which can be rectified with cleaning. However, they do wear out over time and through use. As the volume of gas or liquid in the support’s interior chamber reduces, it loses its ability to hold the glass up on its own. If your support no longer stands on its own, you should invest in a discount back glass lift support replacement.
What Happens If I Don't?
If you decide not to buy a back glass lift support, nothing catastrophic will happen. However, you won’t be able to use the rear glass access conveniently. While you will still be able to open it, you will have to hold it up manually, which can be cumbersome and inconvenient. Replacement is a simple process, though.
How to do it: Replacing your Back Glass Lift Support
- Make sure you’ve purchased the correct back glass lift support replacement for your vehicle.
- Open the rear glass and prop it up (have a helper hold it up, alternatively).
- Determine how the strut is attached to the glass and to the interior of the vehicle. You should see either a ball and socket (the most common) or a pin type.
- With a ball and socket attachment, pry the clip off with a flathead screwdriver. Repeat for the other end.
- With a pin type attachment, pull the pin out and slide the strut off.
- Install the back glass lift support replacement (replace dual systems in pairs because chances are good the other one will fail soon).
Anything else I need to know?
For some vehicles, you may need to remove some ancillary parts to get to the Back Glass Lift Support Replacement, so be prepared for that. If you run into problems with that process, you may need to do some research to get instructions that are specific to your vehicle.
Select your discounted Back Glass Lift Support Replacement online from Car Part Kings for fa st shipping, Live Support and great prices.